Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Did You Know? - MARK THIS ONE


So I watched the video on youtube called “Did you know?” and it basically summed up the way we communicate through technology nowadays. This got me thinking about the space and time binding concept. At one point the video even said that in 25 years the computer that is in our cell phone will fit in a blood cell. I think that is kind of a morbid way to get the point across, but anyways the point is that everything will be even more space binding in the future than it is now (in relation to how we communicate).
In my opinion since we have every method of communication at our instant disposal, we have lost some of the ‘flare’ for communicating. What I’m trying to say here is that our sentences now are constructed a lot different than they were 50 years ago. For example, this is a clip from the movie “It’s a wonderful life”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1HT3UjyDA in this clip the way the two people talk to each over is so different from the way we do now. Instead of saying “I’m shaking the dust of this crummy little town off my feet…” we would say “I’m leaving”, we don’t try to make our sentences sound like stories anymore. With texting, msn and all of the other ways to communicate now we usually don’t even make full sentences, and respond with half sentences like “Ya bcuz I wanna c u later”. This is a clip from the movie “Knocked up” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvhmNJoHu8 my point in including this scene is to illustrate the different way we talk to each other now. In the time of the first movie we would never swear at the dinner table, let alone in front of people. Not that swearing is really the issue here, my point is that in the first movie it seems as though the people pick their words carefully, whereas in the second movie they say whatever pops into their heads. Also in the first movie, when they speak it is almost like poetry, whereas the second one the thought process to arrive at a sentence is not as critical. So my question is, do you think that the way we used to talk to each other is better than how it is now? Is space binding media what has started this idea of quicker and to the point is better?
I would say that yes, space binding media (or that concept) is what started that idea, and that this is not better. I think that the way people used to communicate was better. It was almost like a dance with words, and now we’ve lost that dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment